Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tim Hecker / Daniel Lopatin - Instrumental Tourist

The two names on this double vinyl should be easily enough to make anything I have to say quite unnecessary. But, nonetheless... I found this collaborative work between the visionary behind Oneohtrix Point Never, Daniel Lopatin, and lauded composer Hecker, to be an extremely satisfying middle ground between the style of both. At times, one seems to overtake the other, and at others the reverse, but always returning to an elevated middle ground. I didn't find it a vast departure for either artist, but highly enjoyable cohesion between two distinctive sounds. And because I always try my humble best to describe what I'm hearing, (I'll frankly admit, I'm far from a representative expert on the work of either artist), let's call this complex engaging sound, a patchwork of beautiful moments drifting in a thick grey ocean of clay. Sounds like a couple of guys who know exactly what they're doing.

Gatefold sleeve in matte finish with thick obi strip. Glossy cardboard inner sleeves, black vinyl. Edition of 2000 hand numbered, available widely, and specifically, from Discriminate.

No comments:

Post a Comment